How to choose the best speakers for your home: an overview of 7 models
Acoustics has become an indispensable element in almost every home. It can complement a home theater, be used with a TV or paired with a personal computer. There are quite a lot of types of acoustic speakers, which complicates the choice of a suitable model. To choose the best gadget for playing sound at home, you need to correctly evaluate the characteristics, determine the type of device and choose the best manufacturer.
The review provides expert advice on choosing speakers and a rating of the 7 best models for home use.
THE CONTENT OF THE ARTICLE
Types of speakers
Sound reproducing devices are divided into 2 types: passive and active. In the first case, the design includes a speaker and a crossover. And in the second — also a power amplifier.
Pros of active speakers:
- Improving the interaction of the emitter with the amplifier in most parameters, because a team of professionals from the manufacturer is responsible for this.
- The overall price of the system is reduced, because the developer saves on an additional amplifier housing and does not overpay for excessive amplifier power.
- There is no need for an additional cable.
- Maintenance and repair of the amplifier is much more complicated. In order to get to it, you need to disassemble the entire column.
- If you have multiple amplifiers in different speakers, you may need an additional power supply.
Active speakers are better suited for use on a personal computer, small concerts, discos. Passive speakers are widely used in home theaters and large venues.
Another important difference in acoustics is the location of the speakers (the number of sound sources):
- 2.0 is the standard and most common option. Includes a stereo pair of left and right speakers.
- 2.1 — a pair of sound emitters in combination with a subwoofer. Usually complemented by an amplifier. Passive counterparts are rare.
- 5.1 — a system that includes 2 speakers in front and behind, as well as speech acoustics (installed in the center) and a subwoofer. It is actively used to create home theaters, but gamers also fell in love.
- 7.1 is a professional acoustic system, more often used in cinema halls of small dimensions. It is an extended analogue of the previous type. The only difference is that instead of two rear speakers, 4 are used. 3 emitters are responsible for the sound in front.
- 7.2 is the same as 7.1 but has an additional subwoofer.
Healthy! For the home, it is advisable to take systems up to 5.1. The lesser popularity of 7.1 and higher modifications is due to the high cost. The more elements included in the kit, the higher the final price. However, it makes sense for avid moviegoers to think about a more advanced system.
The world has already formed a rating of undisputed leaders in the production of acoustics:
- Yamaha is a brand from Japan that delivers exceptionally clear and loud sound in a stylish shell design. Produces a lot of speakers and musical instruments. In the assortment you can find acoustics with mounting on the ceiling, walls, shelves, floor. Their power and functionality are very different. Suitable for both amateurs and professionals.
- Monitor Audio Bronze is an expensive brand focused on equipment for cinemas, recording studios, etc. A distinctive feature of the products is a wide frequency range, maximum tonal accuracy and dynamic range. It produces functional, ergonomic and loud speakers with clear sound.
- JBL. In terms of sound quality, the devices of this manufacturer are not inferior to the speakers from the cinema. The design includes a waveguide that provides visualization. JBL products are known for their high power, audio clarity and relative affordability.
- Heco. The manufacturer follows the strictest international standards, which has a positive effect on the quality and realism of sound. Heco speakers are characterized by their ability to reproduce all audible frequencies and their perfect design. In terms of cost and quality, the acoustics of this manufacturer often occupies a leading position.
- Sony. The brand is interesting due to the constant introduction of innovations and a huge range of speakers. Widely represented in the budget niche. At a relatively low price, acoustics are always powerful, characterized by a fairly clear sound and the absence of distortion.
How to choose an acoustic speaker?
Most people buy acoustics by ear and this is the right approach. However, it is not always possible to personally evaluate the sound. In order to choose the right model in absentia, you need to know what characteristics and what they are responsible for.
Main technical parameters:
- Sensitivity. More means better. Reflects the amplitude in which the emitters oscillate after the signal is applied. Simply put, the higher the sensitivity, the greater the volume. The optimal value is 90 dB or more.
- Frequency range. Numerous studies have established the frequencies perceived by the ear of the average person. The minimum threshold is 16 Hz and the maximum threshold is 20,000 Hz. Anything more or less, most people are not able to hear.
- Number of lanes. One emitter is not able to reproduce sound in the entire frequency range. To achieve the best coverage, you should choose models with 2 or 3 speakers.
- Power, W). At the maximum values of the amplifier, wheezing and noise appear. To comfortably listen to music at high volume, you should take models with a margin. The presence of a reserve of 30% of the power will avoid distortion. For a large room up to 30 sq. m optimally take acoustics at 50-100 watts.
Rating of the best speakers
Having decided on the rules for choosing acoustic systems for home use, you should move on to speakers that embody the listed characteristics in themselves.
JBL Studio 130
This is an affordable speaker system with an unusual design, which is most often included in home theaters. Differs in good sounding in space and balance of frequency bands. The advantage of the design is in a monolithic assembly, thanks to which nothing rattles, everything stays in place. Bass is not very much, so rock fans should buy a subwoofer.
- good sound resolution;
- all instruments are accurately separated from each other;
- some coloration over the entire frequency range;
- durable construction.
- low frequencies may not seem enough;
- the phase inverter is installed on the back side.
“I never imagined that such kids could provide a lively and natural sound when using an inexpensive Yamaha receiver. If you put a normal amplifier or receiver, the sound quality will improve even more. I do not regret the money spent.
Price: 19,000 rubles.
JBL Studio 130
Inexpensive medium power floorstanding speakers — 50 watts. The peak value can reach 300W. Supplied with an amplifier. The model is focused on work as part of a home theater, as evidenced by the volume at 87 dB. To ensure maximum frequency coverage, the speakers are equipped with two 160 mm low-frequency radiators. The tweeter is only 30 mm. The presence of three emitters made it possible to cover frequencies in the range of 30-36000 Hz.
- modern, universal design;
- excellent balance of frequencies;
- high power;
- precise fit of all elements;
- reliability and durability.
- to get the most pure sound, you have to manually refine the model;
- average indicators of microdynamics;
- requires a «break-in» for a week, only after this time the column shows the real ability to play audio.
“Totally happy with the purchase. I’m not an audiophile and I don’t listen to music very often. Despite my little experience, everything suits me, high-quality sound is heard immediately.
Price: 24 990 rubles.
The 2.1 speaker system is a stylish solution for connecting to your TV. Allows you to experience all movies, TV programs and music in a new way. The joy of music lovers will be the perfect sound on each of the frequency bands. With good sound, they are compact, do not require much space for installation. The model is budget, but it can generate virtual, surround audio even for 4k content.
|Dimensions||900x51x117 and 170x342x381 mm|
|Weight||2.4 + 6.6 kg|
- rich and clear sounds;
- subwoofer with wireless connection;
- support for Bluetooth and NFC technology;
- works with HD sound.
- average volume;
- 50 W speakers;
- there may be configuration issues.
“Sounds better than the 50VT60. They are enough to watch movies and videos. The subwoofer works clearly and provides normal bass. It is the cheapest model with HD sound, and the difference with non-HD tracks is really noticeable. An ideal solution for moviegoers who do not want to turn their apartment into a cinema.”
Price: 25 990 rubles.
HECO Music Style 25A
It is a subwoofer with a built-in amplifier, which must be selected based on the size of the room. If installed in a small room, an unpleasant hum will appear. Suitable for medium-sized rooms, where it fully opens up and produces good sound. The subwoofer uses a 260mm driver to enhance audio quality.
- powerful bass;
- can complement even large, professional audio systems;
- excellent dynamics;
- high resolution sound.
- kills the detail of the overall picture;
- high price.
“I never regretted buying a sub, especially since I bought it on sale. Produces nice and powerful bass. Now watching movies gives a much more vivid sensations. Works in conjunction with a Pioneer receiver.»
Price: from 33,000 rubles.
HECO Music Style 25A
JBL Studio 580
Speakers can be recommended to anyone who really appreciates the perfect purity of sound. They are able to give an accurate average range without distortion and attempts to improve by the equalizer. Acoustics provides natural reproduction of timbres and accurate sound detailing. The upper frequencies are moderate, without busting, but they are enough. Bass is quite enough, for lovers of loud music with bass acoustics will do. A notable feature of the column is a specific design with irregular lines.
- ideal construction of audio, which does not depend on the configuration of the space;
- high resolution sound;
- fully transmits mid frequencies;
- good build.
- unusual design does not always fit well into the interior;
- there are few mesh fasteners to the body, rattling may appear when working at maximum volume.
“Clear speakers! They work for me together with the Sherwood 5505 amplifier. I installed 27 m2 in a room. The volume is simply prohibitive, and you can go deaf. There is a lot of bass in them, even more than on my previous pioneer s-51w subwoofer.
Price: 54,000 rubles.
JBL Studio 580
Monitor Audio Bronze 6
Columns stylized under a tree. They are made in the traditional style — a vertical design with four right angles. The acoustics turned out to be compact, it is easy to install it in any corner of the home. The sound is as balanced and clear as possible, as it covers a wide frequency range of 34-30000 Hz. In the speakers, the developers managed to clearly separate all the spectra and frequencies of sound. Due to their high volume, they are suitable for sounding entire houses or cinemas. Fill with music up to 150 m2.
- pulls out audio even when connecting budget receivers;
- high-quality sound in large rooms;
- available in several colors;
- front phase inverter.
- you need a powerful amplifier;
- overtones may appear at peak volume.
“Extremely pleasant sound, like honey to my ears. All frequencies are well audible and not crushed by bass. The volume is enough for giving — about 120 m2. The sound spreads throughout the house, even in the garage you can hear the music quite well. Much better than the homemade Marshall Woburn.»
Price: 69,900 rubles.
Monitor Audio Bronze 6
Heco Celan GT 302
Compact speakers with a classic design have been known to music lovers for years for their rich, spacious sound. Extremely clear and deep audio is the merit of covering a huge frequency range of 30-50000 Hz. The speakers are ideal for home theater. They can be placed both on the floor and on small shelves.
- three-dimensional and dynamic sound with high detail;
- universal design;
- traced treble and powerful bass;
- monolithic assembly;
- the high-frequency head increases the range up to 50000 Hz.
- average power;
- stamped body.
“Completely flat frequency response. The top is absolutely not tiring, but transparency and detailing is preserved. I installed it in a small room of 17 m2 — everything works clearly, without problems. I am satisfied with the sound: the bass is big and collected, the rest of the frequencies are clear and emphasized.
Price: from 70,000 rubles.
Heco Celan GT 302
Comparison of the characteristics of the best models
The key parameters of the considered columns are described in the final table. If the reader does not know how to decipher the characteristics, it is worth returning to the instructions for choosing home acoustics.
|Model||Power, W||Sensitivity, dB||Resistance, Ohm||Frequencies, Hz||Dimensions, mm||Weight, kg||Price, rubles|
|JBL Studio 130||60-240||87||eight||60-22000||165x349x210||4.9||19 000|
|Yamaha NS-F160||50-300||87||6||30-36000||218x1042x369||19||24 990|
|Sony HT-CT380||300||90||four||—||900x51x117 and 170x342x381||2.4+6.6||25 990|
|HECO Music Style 25A||125-250||89||—||22-150||320x470x430||11.4||33 000|
|JBL Studio 580||200-400||90||6||40-40000||250x1069x348||22.2||54 000|
|Monitor Audio Bronze 6||150||90-115||eight||34-30000||235x1033x350||16.6||69 990|
|Heco Celan GT 302||100-160||90||4-8||30-50000||230x380x330||eleven||70 000|
The best representative of the budget series — Yamaha NS-F160. The speakers are distinguished by high sensitivity, power and coverage of a wide frequency range. The undisputed leader of the mid-price niche — JBL Studio 580. it one of the loudest models in the review with clear sound at frequencies of 40-40000 Hz. The best speakers for the home of the entire ranking — Heco Celan GT 302. True, they are more focused on professionals, but they are perfect for the home. Provide crystal clear, deep and three-dimensional sound.
Found a typo? Select the text and press Ctrl + Enter