How to choose the best mini projector, what to look for
Most people think of a projector as a large piece of equipment mounted on a wall or ceiling. Similar devices are used in cinemas. However, there is no need to use devices with high technical characteristics at home, it is better to choose mini-projectors.
With their help, you can easily show a presentation on any flat wall. Mini projectors are reliable and capable of high quality picture reproduction. Selection rules and a description of the 8 best models can be found in this material.
THE CONTENT OF THE ARTICLE
Principle of operation and purpose
A significant part of electronic devices tends to become smaller and more mobile. If initially large LaserDiscs were used, then over time VCRs appeared in the world. A little later, DVD players appeared, and today there are Blu-ray players. With each generation, the size of the device became smaller and smaller. In a similar trend, projectors are also developing, which can be called mini, because they fit in a small bag.
Types of projectors and how they work:
- DLP. The device is based on micromirror matrices. All microscopic mirrors reflect the image from the light source, and the whole picture is formed from the dots.
- LCD. It is based on a liquid crystal matrix, which includes 3 colors — RGB. The crystal cell is equal to 1 pixel.
- LCoS. It is some combination of previous technologies. It is based on a liquid crystal matrix, but is not translucent, but reflected. The luminous flux bounces off the mirror surface and is directed to the canvas with the picture.
- Laser. The beams coming out of the device create a solid image. Design Feature: No lens. Pulses do not scatter, there is no need to focus. The optics of the projector only changes the angle of the beam.
When is it appropriate to buy mini projectors:
- When you rarely need to use a large device. If the desire to see the picture on the wall appears infrequently, then it is better to take a mini-model. Traditional projectors require special mounts and hardware that will get in the way when not in use.
- For presentations in different locations. You can find a flat wall in almost any location, and you can take a fabric and stretch it out into nature.
- For frequent travel. It will not be difficult to create a picture in a train on the wall of a compartment or on the top shelf.
- There is no money to buy a TV, but I want to watch movies on the big screen. Buying a TV to the country house is too expensive and impractical, a mini-projector can easily replace it.
Criteria for choosing a mini projector
There are many characteristics of devices for creating a picture, but among them there are the main ones:
- Targets and goals. The device must fully cover the needs of the user.
- Screen sizes. Most likely, the user knows the dimensions of the future screen. Using the measured data, you can determine the required power of the device, provided that it is used in a room with artificial lighting. Formula: X u003d 500xS, where X is the power, and S is the area of u200bu200bthe future screen.
- Permission. To play high-quality Blu-ray or FullHD content, you need the right projector resolution. Optimal is 1920×1080 pixels. If the resolution of the device is lower, then the picture quality will drop.
- Battery Life. The battery capacity of each model is different, and with it the duration of operation of the device without recharging changes. The larger the battery capacity, the longer the portable projector can work.
The best mini projectors
The rating includes both serious representatives and elementary models for undemanding users. Choosing the right mini projector is based on your needs.
In terms of its dimensions, it is an analogue of a large smartphone. The model is based on a DLP-matrix that can cover an area of up to 1.98×1.19 m with projection. The mini-projector has a built-in player that reads data from flash drives and memory cards up to 32 GB.
The device is equipped with a Wi-Fi module that allows you to download movies from the network. Supports Bluetooth headphone connection. It comes with the Android operating system, on which you can install applications from the official store. The pocket model is suitable for demonstrations, watching movies, videos and playing games.
|Light flow||1500 lm|
|The weight||250 g|
- compact dimensions;
- comes with a tripod;
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and HDMI are present;
- flexible Android operating system;
- USB ports and memory card support.
- unreliable tripod included in the kit;
- poor sound quality, a Bluetooth speaker helps to correct the shortcoming;
- average image quality.
“There are minor shortcomings, but they are solvable. I highly recommend this small projector. I connected it to a camera tripod and have no problems.
Price: 13,990 rubles.
ASUS ZenBeam E1
Another compact projector for any task. The manufacturer managed to put 4 ports in it for connecting to a console, a personal computer and a smartphone. The battery charge can be transferred, it will not be possible to significantly recharge the phone, but it can give 20-30%.
A fully charged battery lasts for 3 hours of continuous movie playback. The simple but elegant case is more like a classic power bank. A useful design element is a shutter that protects the lens from clogging. It is based on a DLP-matrix with a lamp for 30,000 hours and a resolution of 854 × 480 pixels.
|Light flow||150 lm|
|The weight||307 g|
- metal structure;
- large lens;
- image size up to 3 m;
- high lamp life;
- many ports for connecting devices;
- battery with power bank function.
- brightness may not be enough for comfortable use of a portable projector during the day;
- low resolution;
- no remote control;
- no wireless.
“I put my bags in my pocket and went on a picnic with an overnight stay. If I get tired of looking at the stars, I take out the projector and watch a movie. I did not find any obvious shortcomings, it is enough for home use.
Price: 20 670 rubles.
ASUS ZenBeam E1
Acer’s solution features a long-lasting 150 lumens LED lamp. The characteristics of the projector are only sufficient for viewing images in dark rooms. Inside the device, a DLP matrix with a resolution of 854 × 480 pixels is used, which can display an image on screens up to 2.54 m.
The model is focused on banal office needs, so there are 2 HDMI ports and a Wi-Fi module. The autonomous device is powered by a battery that lasts for 2 hours.
|Light flow||150 lm|
|The weight||270 g|
- lamp for 20-30 thousand hours;
- an abundance of modern connectors;
- WiFi support;
- can work autonomously.
- sound power about 1 W;
- low brightness of the lamp;
- low resolution.
“More or less suitable for presentations and videos, but it is impossible to read on such a screen. A small number of pixels leads to poor image clarity.
Price: 22 920 rubles.
JMGO M6 Portable
Slightly larger than a pocket projector. Works on the Android operating system. Has a design in the form of a large wallet. Supplied with a remote control. On top of the device is a docking station for a smartphone, where you can charge your gadget.
A flash drive, mobile phone or the Internet is suitable as a content source. Based on a DLP matrix with a medium resolution of 854×480, which can project an image up to 120 inches. The design is equipped with a lamp capable of operating up to 20,000 hours at a brightness of 200 lumens.
|Light flow||200 lm|
|The weight||500 g|
- small sizes;
- there is a docking station for a smartphone;
- android system;
- high lamp life;
- nice design;
- pre-installed Wi-Fi module.
- dim lamp;
- hard to find in Russia.
“Ordered from the UK, came in 3 weeks. The projector of stars from the sky is not enough, but copes with its tasks. I liked the stylish appearance and good image quality for the money. For nature or as a toy on the road — that’s it.
Price: 26 850 rubles.
JMGO M6 Portable
RIF6 CUBE Pico
The smallest model of all. It has the shape of a cube with a side width of about 5 cm. It is almost invisible in a pocket. The device can work with a memory card, from where it easily plays movies and presentations. Of the ports — microUSB for charging and synchronization with a smartphone and HDMI for connecting to a personal computer.
There are speakers in the design, but they are uncomfortable to use due to poor quality. To reduce the size of the device, the manufacturer had to sacrifice brightness and autonomy.
|Light flow||50 lm|
|The weight||136 g|
- tiny sizes;
- it is possible to establish a connection with a phone or tablet;
- there is a port for a microSD card;
- comes with a handy stand.
- slight brightness;
- battery life — 1.5 hours;
- low resolution.
“Not suitable as a serious device. Suitable for displaying video only on the most even surface in complete darkness. It would be unreasonable to expect anything more from a device 5 cm wide and high. All shortcomings can be attributed to the size of the device.
Price: 27,000 rubles.
RIF6 CUBE Pico
Captivates with an unusual design in the shape of a cube. On one side is the lens, and to the left of it is a pair of elementary power and volume buttons. The form factor has a positive impact on the stability and ease of installation of the device on any surface.
It has a capacious battery that lasts for 5 hours of operation. Thanks to the passive cooling system, the mini projector works silently. The technical parameters of the model are enough to reproduce the image on the screen up to 3 m diagonally.
|Light flow||35 lm|
|The weight||260 g|
- stability and compactness;
- there is pre-installed content;
- works on Android;
- includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC technologies;
- 5 hours of battery life;
- 32 GB of file memory.
- high cost;
- no HDMI connection;
- bad resolution;
- brightness is not pleasing;
- quiet speakers.
“Children do not let go of various gadgets in search of interesting games and videos. To temporarily occupy the child, the cube comes in handy. I do not limit the child in the use of electronics, but still control the time spent behind the screen.
Price: 29 990 rubles.
Despite the tiny size of the mini-projector, it weighs 750 g. The heavy weight is due to the metal body, durable glass lens and a capacious battery that is enough for 5 hours of use.
The device is capable of reproducing a picture on a lens up to 5 m. A bright lamp of 800 lm is responsible for the glow, a comfortable value for all places where bright sunlight does not fall. An HD resolution DLP matrix is used that supports 3D.
|Light flow||800 lm|
|The weight||750 g|
- 2 USB ports, HDMI and standard audio jack;
- can read content from a microSD card;
- HD resolution;
- the lamp works before failure of 30,000 hours;
- maximum fps — 120 Hz;
- there is 3D.
- no Wi-Fi;
- You may experience problems playing large presentation files.
“Choose the mini projector from Asus because of the positive first impression. In the store, this box showed a huge and bright picture, and the lights were turned on inside. Despite the need to overpay compared to Chinese models, the projector is really worth the money and outperforms analogues.
Price: 45,470 rubles.
The model is designed to create a full-fledged home theater, as it supports a screen up to 7.64 m diagonally. Allows you to play movies in FullHD-quality with a contrast ratio of 20000:1. From a technical point of view, the projector turned out not quite mini, as it weighs 3.1 kg without a battery. Suitable for professional presentations and cinemas. It is not difficult to transport the device within the premises.
|Light flow||2000 lm|
|The weight||3.1 kg|
- excellent picture quality;
- FullHD resolution;
- there is 3D support;
- maximum diagonal 7.64 m;
- pre-installed speaker provides loud sound.
- high price;
- low lamp life — only 6000 hours;
- no built-in battery;
- 3D glasses are not included.
“Impressive projector. The priority was 3D support and quiet operation of the device. Eyes do not get tired when viewing in 3D (as other owners say). I advise everyone.»
Price: 92,100 rubles.
Comparison of the characteristics of the best models
A table will help you visually compare the parameters of all mini-projectors.
|Model||Resolution, pixels||Screen, m||Contrast||Luminous flux, lm||Dimensions, mm||Weight, g||Price, rubles|
|Everycom S6||854×480||1.98×1.19||2000:1||1500||81x18x147||250||13 990|
|ASUS ZenBeam E1||854×480||3.05||3500:1||150||83x29x110||307||20 670|
|Acer C101i||854×480||2.54||1200:1||150||118x26x121||270||22 920|
|JMGO M6 Portable||852×480||2.54||3000:1||200||194x28x102||500||26 850|
|RIF6 CUBE Pico||854×480||3.04||1000:1||fifty||51x51x48||136||27 000|
|CINEMOOD storyteller||640×360||3||1000:1||35||80x80x80||260||29 990|
|ASUS P3B||1280×800||5.08||100000:1||800||153x43x131||750||45 470|
|Optoma HD131X||1920×1080||7.64||20000:1||2000||324x97x234||3100||92 100|
The most budgetary of the reviewed mini-projectors with decent picture quality — ASUS ZenBeam E1. With a small size, it has good contrast and average brightness. By paying twice as much, you can get ASUS P3b, which produces an HD picture on a 5-meter screen with huge contrast and high brightness. The best model of all — Optoma HD131x. This is due to FullHD resolution, the ability to broadcast to a screen up to 7.64 m and a brightness of 2000 lm.
Found a typo? Select the text and press Ctrl + Enter